Thursday, March 7, 2013

3D Printing Gun Parts. Oh the Mayhem!

I have a little bit of experience with rapid prototyping of plastics and also rapid prototype sand molds for aluminum casting.  A few years ago, someone renamed the whole genre "3D Printing" and the world exploded.  There isn't a lot one needs to fabricate on the Ural 5-1.  It comes with so many accessories, it takes a year just to figure out which ones to use.    I eventually came up with a need for some higher sight risers.  The stock ones are 10mm thick, and I am still getting my head too canted in the sitting position to look through the sights properly.  I tried to find some and also considered machining some, but finally I tried the plastic fabrication route.  All it took was a little time with some calipers and a modeling program.  The results are shown below:



The front risers are shorter than the rear, and I made a set at 10mm and 20mm.  The material used is called alumide.  It is aluminum powder mixed with nylon powder and sintered together. It is a bit weaker than the stock nylon, but quite a bit stiffer.  I had the work done by Shapeways.  You can buy these same parts at http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Simonpie.  To be up front, I get a few bucks each.

I found the 20mm riser a bit "tippy" so I use the stock steel stacked on the 10mm plastic. See them installed!



So do they work?  That's yet to be seen.  I'm guessing they may move with time and moisture, but I tend to rezero each match.  I should note that the 2 holes in each one need to be tapped for M6 set screws.  These risers will need an Allen Key to get on and off.

I am impressed enough to try some 3D Printed ends on a carbon fiber bloop tube.  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment